Saturday, March 6, 2010

What's a newborn grandparent to do?

Well, GrandMary took her cue from Kate's Grandma Marie. Right after Kate was born, her Grandma Marie came to visit for a couple of weeks. A mother of six and a nurse, she knew just how to lend support without overstepping the boundaries of new-parenthood.

She took care of the the rest of the family while I was given the luxury of getting used to the baby's routines. Cooking meals, taking care of the laundry, making sure the rest of the family had what they needed, and holding Baby Kate while this new mama took the occasional nap or washed her hair made those first crucial weeks much easier.

Marie was a great role model for how a new grandparent can help during the early days. I'm trying my best to follow her lead, even when - ooooooh! - I just want to get my hands on Baby Liam!

Marie died last September. We all wish she were still here to enjoy the newest in the clan, Liam and his cousin Aidan. But she certainly taught this new grandparent the right way to be of help to parents with a newborn babe. And I hope I do her memory justice.

No comments: