Tuesday, July 24, 2012

So Many Ideas, So Little Time

I haven't seen GrandBoy in almost three months, so I'll be traveling down to Atlanta in ten days to spend a week reconnecting. Since I last saw him, I've added Pinterest to my social media skills and have a board just for GrandMary Goodies. This is where I stick all the fabulous, fun, creative ideas other folks have dreamed up that I think Liam would enjoy.  The problem is, there are way more pins on the GrandMary Goodies board that I will ever be able to put to use.

At the risk of over-planning, over-thinking, and over-scheduling ways for us to spend our play time, I'm culling through my board pins to choose just a handful of things that will make us giggle, give us some exercise, get our hands dirty, or all of the above. So, let's see. Where to start?

Do we cook up slime, galaxy playdough, or a variety of recipes for disaster? I see some real possibilities there. Bet I could find lots of fun stuff in this free, downloadable Summer Fun book, with activities suitable for toddlers. But are the activities suitable for GrandMarys?

I'm not afraid of a little (or a lot) of water, and neither is GrandBoy, so perhaps we move the fun outside. Maybe rig up this water spray made out of a 2-litre plastic bottle. Or stock up on balloons for a little water balloon action. We both love-love-love sidewalk chalk, so maybe one or two games using the chalk will be fun. Or a messy outdoor art project. Note to self: use the water spray to clean up after the messy art project.

Of course, there are always old fashioned activities, like catching lightning bugs, collecting rocks/leaves/sticks on a nature walk, throwing/catching/chasing a ball around the yard, and eating popsicles on the front steps. We'll need time to dance around a while and whizz cars and trucks down the hallway. Whatever we do must revolve around mealtimes and naptimes - for both of us.

Whatever happens, we'll have fun. Whether we make things that fizz and glow, or spray water, or spin around, we'll have fun. And we'll really deserve our meals and naps after all that!



No comments: