Sunday, February 21, 2010

A good night's labor

After a rough evening that included grunts and tears, Kate decided the pain was just too much, so around 12:30am we all headed to Piedmont Hospital. Thanks to my iPod stopwatch, I kept track of the contractions for about an hour and a half. As we raced to the hospital, all were hoping that she was dilated enough for the much-anticipated epidural to relieve the pain. And, yea!, she was!

Kate's room is fabulous #14 - larger than my apartment in NYC, and with all the comforts of home. The overnight team of nurses was wonderful, especially Christy (or Kristie?), who was with us all night. The anesthesiologist was terrific - probably the most loved guy on Floor 2 at Piedmont.

Once Kate had the pain meds, life became much better. She rested, though didn't really sleep, while I crashed on the pull-out sofa and Greg hit the floor. I didn't sleep much, off and on for a couple of hours. I got up and tended to Kate, talked, straightened the bedding, as such. We let Greg sleep.

After the 6am check-in from Christy, we had to say bye-bye to her until she comes in for her shift tonight. I took the opportunity to go back to the house to take care of the dogs, brush my teeth, change clothes, and pick up the laptop. Got back to the hospital around 9am, and now things are moving fast.

It's almost time for the Big Push. She's ready to go. Fresh bag of epidural goodness is in place. GrandBoy will make his entrance soon!

1 comment:

Sandy Naidu said...

You are looking nice and refreshed - Good luck for the 'big' push