Monday, February 1, 2010

Grabbing onto the the techno-grapevine

As a very proud, soon-to-be grandmother (OK, the term "grandmother" still causes me to wince a little), I'm trying to come up with the fastest and easiest way to get the word out when GrandBoy makes his appearance this month. Of course, Ma and Pa will send out the official, printed birth announcements, but this old lady has a lot of friends to whom she'd like to herald the good news in a less formal way. (Formal usually equals a gift of some kind, right?)

Now, the family will get phone calls, of course, with email back-up. Hospital pictures will fly back and forth, as well.

But friends and co-workers don't need or expect a phone call. So I'm thinking the best way to notify my pals is via an email birth announcement. Is this a tacky idea? I hope not, because in this day and age, email is usually the quickest, most reliable form of communication other than a phone call. I trust there are some cute, FREE designs out there that I can grab online.

Has anyone done this? Recommendations? Just looking for the best way to broadcast the glad tidings when the time comes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about an email with a "mini-announcement and picture" and the link to your blog where they can get all the details and the extended number of pictures that seem to accompany "grandparenting"! I really enjoy reading your blog and would love to hear all about those tiny toes, about the middle of the night trip to the hospital, how Greg forgot the hospital bag, and the latest update on mom and grandma. We'll also want a follow-up on the granddogs and how this little bundle of joy rocks their world.
Cousin Linda

MaryB said...

Great idea, Linda! An email to my girls (and a few guys) with a link to this blog. (Good cross-promotion, too. You sure you're not in marketing??) I'm blaming my lack of creative ideas on Kate's pregnancy. re: the granddogs, I think Lola's probably sleeping in the cradle now. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I picture Lola in the cradle, swaddled in a blanket, with a Dr. Brown bpttle of fresh water at her side and the Ocean Seas aquarium/cradle rocking reminding her of a day at the beach. Henri would expect no less.
Linda

Anonymous said...

I love it, Linda! That's pretty much the kind of treatment she's had for the past week. Hope she's enjoying it now . . .

Kate